Visitor Visas UK


To come to the United Kingdom as a general visitor, you must be able to show that:

  1. you are 18 or over;
  2. you only want to visit the United Kingdom for up to six months, or up to 12 months if you are accompanying an academic visitor;
  3. you intend to leave the United Kingdom at the end of your visit;
  4. you have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working or help from public funds, or you and any dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
  5. you can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
  6. you are not in transit to a country outside the common travel area.

You must also show that, during your visit, you do not intend to:

  1. take employment, produce goods or provide services, including the selling of goods or services directo to members of the public;
  2. undertake a course of study;
  3. marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership;
  4. carry out the activities of a business visitor, a sports visitor or an entertainer visitor; or
  5. receive private medical treatment.

How to come to the UK as a business visitor

This section explains how you can come to the UK as a business visitor.
To come to the UK as a business visitor you must be able to show that you: 

  1. only want to visit the UK for up to six months;
  2. plan to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  3. have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working, help from public funds or you will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
  4. do not intend to charge members of the public for services provided or goods received;
  5. do not intend to study;
  6. can meet the cost of the return or onward journey;
  7. are based abroad and have no intention of transferring your base to the UK even temporarily;
  8. receive your salary from abroad.

You must also show that you plan to do one or more of the permissible activities which include:

    • attending meetings, including interviews that have been arranged before coming to the UK, or conferences;
    • arranging deals or negotiating or signing trade agreements or contracts;
    • undertaking fact finding missions; 
    • conducting site visits;
    • delivering goods and passengers from abroad such as lorry drivers and coach drivers provided they are genuinely working an international  route;
    • tour group couriers who are contracted to a firm outside the UK, who are seeking entry to accompany a tour group and who intend to leave with that tour group;
    • speaking at a conference where this is not run as a commercial concern and the conference is a 'one-off';
    • representing computer software companies by coming to install, debug or enhance their products. Representatives of such companies may also be admitted as business visitors in order to be briefed as to the requirements of a UK customer but if they are to provide a service involving the use of their expertise to make a detailed assessment of a potential customer's requirements this should be regarded as consultancy work for which entry under the points-based system would be required;
    • representing foreign manufacturers by coming to service or repair their company's products within their initial period of guarantee; 
    • representing foreign machine manufacturers by coming to erect and install machinery too heavy to be delivered in one piece, as part of the contract of purchase and supply;
    • interpreting or translating for visiting business persons, provided the interpreter/translator is employed by the overseas company and is coming solely to provide this service for the visiting company member.

  Tell a Friend

While at CIVC was doing my nanny course I worked part time as a librarian, this on campus job helped me a lot to complete my course. Up the CIVC flag now I am living happily in Australia with my spouse.



  Tell a Friend
Copyright @ 2010, All rights reserved by CIVC.